Question: living in fear.

topgun345 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:58 pm

i am male,52.about two months ago i lost my breath after getting out of bath.there was no obvious reason.but since then i ve been living in fear of a repeat.im scared to sleep,go out and tune in to every breath.i ve had egc and blood pressure tests but all are normal.i feel like im going crazy.i ve had panic disorder in the past.i feel short breathed and panicky and have weird feelings for no reason.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:50 am

User avatar Dear Topgun345:

I am going to assume that when you say that you have had an ecg and blood pressure tests, you have been examined recently.

Panic disorder is one of those tricky illnesses that likes to come back. I have seen patients who had panic disorder, even years in the past, stopped treatment, and did very well only to have a relapse out of the blue.

While this is the most likely explanation for your current symptoms, we still cannot rush to make a rash diagnosis. You need to have some laboratory work done first. There are a number of fairly common and very treatable causes for your symptoms besides panic disorder. These include electrolyte imbalances, as well as hyperthyroidism.

The best thing for you to do is call your doctor and get a physical examination with lab work.

Good luck!

|