Question: I think I am going insane

blondie83 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:54 pm

I'm a 24 year old female and I think I am going insane.
To start off...I was diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder when I was a teenager. I also used to have a small cutting problem. I used to cut myself off and on but most of that was aggravation.I haven't done anything like that to myself in 5 years or so and i have no desire to do that again.
I have never been on any kind of medication for it. I've always just kinda dealt with it.
For the past year or so it's been slowly getting worse. Also i have been experiencing panic attacks for no apparent reason. And last spring there was a month or so where i was tired all the time but when it came to go to sleep at night..I felt so restless. But it somehow disappeared ...till now. And this time it's sooooo much worse then it was before.
For the last couple weeks I have been having mental confusion. It's a really strange feeling. I feel so numb and it really scares me. I know people with depression say this all the time but I really don't feel like myself. But it's more than that...I REALLY don't feel like myself. Example...
I was fishing the other day at a pond that I'm always going to. I thought maybe it might relax me. But the whole time I was sitting there it almost felt like i had never been there before. I know i had been.. but it felt so unreal and foreign. Then that usually brings on the panic attacks. I feel like this pretty much all day. I know it's pretty hard to explain but..... what is going on with me?
One more thing...I hardly ever drink ..but a couple weeks ago..the night before this whole thing started..I had a couple drinks . Woke up the next morning feeling sluggish and feeling very "foggy". A couple drinks would never do that to me...but could it have brought on some kind of depression?
I was feeling really good for 5 months or so ..no depressed thoughts..no crying..not much stress..things were going smooth in my life for once. Why now?
I have no medical insurance and I'm on a tight budget. There are mental health facilities in this area that help with people that don't have much money. Do I sound like the type of person that they would help? Remember I have social anxiety so getting help would be a very hard thing for me to do. But i know in my heart i need it.

I know you really can't diagnose anything on here ..but you could give me some suggestions what what it might be.
Thank you for your time!
 blondie83 - Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Umm....helloooo?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:22 pm

User avatar Dear blondie83:

It sounds a lot like panic attacks to me. Unfortunately, panic attacks tend to recur at various times in one's life. Fortunately, there is effective treatment for it. What you experienced at the pond is called jamais vu. Basically, it is the opposite of deja vu. It is a common symptom of panic disorder.

I do think you should try the community mental health facilities, you are the type of person they could help. Most base their fees on a sliding scale--if you have no income, you pay either nothing or a very nominal fee. As for medicines, many are supplied with sample medications that drug companies supply.

The best treatment for panic disorder is medication and therapy--usually cognitive behavioral therapy, which in a sense retrains your reactions to various feelings, particular the onset of a panic attack.

Please see someone about this disorder, it can be very disabling.

|