Question: bdd? depression? i don't know what to do!!

geniusblonde - Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:27 pm

My name is Christina, and I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with depression almost 2 years ago. Today I came across some information on BDD online when I was reading about depression and related disorders. So far, the therapy sessions I went to and the Zoloft I am taking for depression have been helping a little bit, but I wish it could be better. I wanted to learn more about BDD, and have been reading different internet sites when I found this one. From the information I've been reading, it really sounds like I have BDD. I am not longer seeing the therapist I went to for several months for my depression because I moved. I haven't seen a therapist in almost a year, and I am a bit hesitant to find a new therapist because I'd have to re-explain everything, basically start all over. Plus, if I do start going to a therapist, my boyfriend is probably going to start worrying about it. How do I know if my symptoms of BDD are just part of my depression, or if I do have BDD? Would you recommend I find a new therapist, or try to have some phone sessions with my old one, or just try to deal with it on my own? I'd really appreciate any help. I really want to get in control of this. Not only for myself, but for my relationship with my boyfriend. Being with him is the best thing that has happened to me in a long long time. It helped with my depression, either helped lessen it, or helped me deal with it better; and I really don't want my self-esteem problems to mess up our relationship.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:04 pm

User avatar Dear geniusblonde:

By BDD, I assume you mean Body Dysmorphic Disorder (actually BMDD). Is this correct?

If so, then the treatment of choice is antidepressants with psychotherapy. Although it is difficult to have to go tell your story all over again, I think that's exactly what you need to do. It might make it a little easier to get a hold of your previous therapist and psychiatrist, though, and have them send records to whomever you will be seeing next.

|