Question: Depression, severe anxiety attacks and depersonalization

blondie83 - Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:29 am

I have been experiencing depression, severe anxiety attacks, have been "losing time" ( I am so numb , I don't remember half of what I do during the day) and some kind of depersonalization for the past month.
It's been affecting my life so bad that I lost my job and I have no insurance.
I've been trying to get into a mental health clinic that accepts the uninsured but it's almost impossible to get an appointment to see someone. Two of the clinics I have called said they aren't accepting any new patients at the moment and referred me to another clinic . I've called this place every day for a week and keep getting their answering severice. I guess they have so many calls they un able to call me back or answer their phone.
Everyday I am sinking deeper and deeper into a black hole. I've been having nervous breakdowns on and off for the past month. What would you suggest I do? Should I just visit the emergency room to actually get someone to help me ? Because I don't think I can handle this anymore. Would it be possible to see a real psychologist with no insureance?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 pm

User avatar Hi Blondie83,

There are a few things you may want to consider. First, even though seeing a psychiatrist would be beneficial, it may be that you can see a primary care doctor (such as a general internal medicine doctor) about this. Often, primary care doctors will be comfortable discussing and starting antidepressant medications. This can at least get you on a treatment to help you get better.

Seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist will certainly be a good thing for you. A psychologist is more of a counselor and does not prescribe medications. A psychiatrist is an MD that can prescribe medications but often is busier and may not have the time to do in depth counseling like a psychologist can.

Given that you do not have insurance, the ability to see these specialists may be limited in your area. This would be another reason to see a primary care doctor first. The primary care doctor can help at least get treatment started until you are able to get in to see a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Best wishes. Hang in there and keep seeking help. Persistence can be difficult but really will end up getting you the care you need.

|