News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Headaches, Anxiety, and Depression Combo Here

PRSJRH - Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:14 am

Greetings! I am a 27 y/o Male. I currently suffer from headaches that form from stress, and when most severe, will numb the side of my face. In addition to that, I notice anxiety issues, and light depression. My doctor has me on 1mg Xanax as needed for the headaches as most of the other headache prescriptions failed. I feel as though I should be on an antidepressant and want to discuss this with my doctor, but would like some opinions on what will work/not work with my Xanax. Please keep in mind that I am overweight, so anything that may increase weight is probably not a good idea. I appreciate any advice/tips I can get. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:00 pm

User avatar There are many antidepressants that can be used in conjunction with Xanax. You should see a psychiatrist for it. Also, many of the SSRIs have actually helped people lose weight because of the effect on the seratonin. Just express this concern to your doctor that you do not want a drug that has been shown to increase the appetite. While each individual responds differently to medications, he/she could at least steer you to one that has a low reported incidence of this side effect.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here