News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: can psychiatrist substitute for neurologist

susieQ1 - Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:51 pm

I guess that sounds like an odd question. I need a neurologist but the ones in my area will not accept me as a patient because or my insurance co. Sounds strange to me, I've never been turned down by a dr because I had insurance. There is a couple of board certified psychiatrist secondard neurologist available that does accept my insurance. In your opinion would they treat patients with seizures & migraines same as a neurologist would? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am

User avatar No, these would be entirely different specialties, but from the point of view of them both being trained physicians, they would be able to if they were so inclined to treat you. They may not want to do that since it is not their area of expertise. A psychiatrist is a physician and as such can prescribe medication, etc. but unless he or she has a particular interest and experience with such things as migraines and seizures, it is not likely he or she would opt to delve into it with you.

If, however, you have been diagnosed and stabilized on a particular medication regime, even a family doctor will sometimes continue to prescribe the medications as part of a maintenance program, as long as things are in control that way. But, if you are still in the diagnosis stage and there is still some trial and error going on, it is unlikely you will be able to do this.

Other doctors could treat migraines and seizures from the outset, but if you have been referred to a neurologist from the other physicians, you will probably need to go that route.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here