Question: Is being constantly lathargic psychological??

Laura787 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:18 pm

So im seventeen, and a female. I have major abandonment fears and was recently in a very controlling relationship. the boyfriend ended up raping me repeatedly, and wouldnt let me out of the relationship. he soon raped my best friend, because i never told her how dangerous he is. ive had a bit of anorexia (80lbs at 5"8) and self-injured badly, especially when he wouldnt quit contacting me. within the last couple months, ive fixed myself up pretty well (about 105lbs, even though i hate how fat i feel) and no longer injure. However, i cant sleep. Generally i sleep about 2-4 hours a night tops. When i actually do sleep, i pass out completely, and will sleep more than 20hrs straight for days. Im in grade 12, and cant physically take the sleep depravation and absence in my classes anymore. When i sleep i cannot get up, and am constantly lethargic. My parents once took me to the hospital because they thought i was dead or almost dead. I don't have a psychiatrist and am not on any meds (no not even birth control). is there something i should be taking to keep me awake? or is it completely psychological problems that i have to fix?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:38 pm

User avatar Hi Laura787,

This is a very difficult situation. The mind is incredibly powerful and can certainly cause the symptoms you are describing. With your history, you definitely have reasons to be having some psychological difficulties.

There are also some physiologic conditions that can cause these symptoms. I would strongly advise you to find a psychiatrist that you feel comfortable with. It can be incredibly difficult to deal with these issues alone and a psychiatrist can provide not only counseling but also medication treatment if needed.

I would also recommend you see your primary care doctor to address the medical issues that may be causing these symptoms.

If I may ask, do you have a support system around you-your family, friends, etc. that you can talk to? This is really a valuable thing. One of the biggest hardships that can be faced in situations such as yours is a feeling of isolation like there is no one to talk to.

Follow up with your doctor is important. Best wishes.
 Laura787 - Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:15 pm

To answer your question, I do have a support system, however support systems aren't exactly realistic. My parents are good people. They just arent exactly the approachable, listening kind of parents. Im scared of telling my friends about anything for issues of police involvement (my ex would be looking at murder and multiple sexual assaults) as well as childrens aid (reasons unstated). I listen to my friends' problems and they are a good support system. However, there are certain things which obviously cannot be spoken for fear of the reprocussions of my actions.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:33 am

User avatar So, it sounds like you could really use someone to talk to about all this that is a bit removed from family/friends. This is where counselors and psychologists come in. They have specific training about how to help people deal with these issues. I would strongly suggest that you consider seeing a psychologist. Just being able to talk with someone can be of tremendous help and relief.

I would also still recommend seeing your primary care doctor to help address the medical aspects of your symptoms. And, should you ever feel like hurting yourself for some reason, you should call 911. (I don't know that this is an issue with you but it's important to review.)

|