Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: getting off of effexor

chynna246 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:49 am

Hello, I'm 32 and have been on effexor for about 5 years. I was having boughts with depression and was taking celexa, but i did not feel like it was doing anything for me. So my gyn suggested Effexor. Years later and hearing about the side effects of Effexor I decided to ask my gyn if I can ween off my medication. I have done alot of research on side effects of effexor and spoke with my gyn(he was the one who put me on it). He told me that it will be an extremly hard process to get me off of effexor. I was taking 75mg per day and over the past 4 weeks have now gotten down to 37.5 mg every third day. This is where my battle is beginning. The physical side effects I can deal with ( dizziness, nausuea, headaches, and so on) what is now throwing me for a loop are my mood swings. I am happy and doing great for a couple of day and then my agitation and no patience starts to show. I'm in a business where i deal with clients in a salon, so i need to be empathtic and understanding. Well, when my aggravation starts to come up, i try to back off and control it (since i know its not normal) BUT then I start crying for no reason. I feel like a basket case! Its like I'm on this wave and it won't stop. I understand that is the withdrawal of getting the medicine out of my system, but I feel bad for the people around me in my daily life. Do I need to ask my gyn about reffering me to someone that I can talk to? Do i just deal with it? I hate feeling this way. This is not me. Should I just go back on it? I have never felt so out of control. Could you please suggest my next steps? Thank you very much for what help you might suggest!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 pm

User avatar Hi Chynna246,

Discontinuing Effexor after taking it for a prolonged period of time can be quite difficult. The symptoms you are describing are all potentially from Effexor withdrawal. Tapering down the dose of Effexor in an effort to stop it must be done with caution and not too quickly.

You may benefit from seeing a psychiatrist with experience with this medicine. The psychiatrist may be able to help you better come off the effexor.

|