News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Side effects Lexapro Wellbutrin

mlblum2 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:30 am

Hi, I have a few questions about sexual side effects of antidepressants. My wife takes 300 mg of Wellbutrin and had taken Lexapro for 2 years. She has no sex drive at all and when tring to have sex she said she feel numb and there is no sensation. She had a low sex drive before and it is completly gone now. Whenever I say anything about the pills she gets very defensive and says they take the edge off.

She is depressed but not all the time these drugs have changed her for the worst. We have been married for 20 years and the mood swings are all over the place. Is there anything I can do to help save our marriage our to suggest to her to help?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are a number of things to consider here. Since you said she did not have a high sex drive before, this might suggest that it is unrelated to the medication. Keep in mind that depression and/or anxiety can kill a sex drive too so not treating such disorders can make it worse.

Also, a woman's sex drive is typically different than that of a man and should be considered. You could probably benefit from some sex therapy from a reputable therapist but you should have reasonable expectations and not hope for her to be just like you. I would also recommend a book, His Needs; Her Needs that focuses on the differences, by Dr. Willard Harley. He is an experienced marriage counselor and heads Marriage Builders - a program for successful marriage advice.

Also, Wellbutrin as well as Lexapro are antidepressants with few reported sexual side effects and Wellbutrin is sometimes added to a treatment regimen to actually improve the sex drive, so discontinuation of this drug could also bring more problems. Each person is different in how they respond to medications but this is information that as a whole has been found to be the case.

Women can often come to enjoy the sexual encounters once they are happening even if they were not feeling a strong drive ahead of time. This can result in a very satisfying sex life if the expectation is not unrealistic. If you both concentrate on ways to please each other, show kindnesses before getting into bed and find ways to be romantic that will make her want to be with you, there will probably be a place where you can find mutual satisfaction. Don't gauge your love life by what you see on the screen, in pictures, port, or romance novels - these are not real. Accept the couple you are and you can be happy. If you want her to be someone she is not, I doubt you will find this happiness.

Best wishes.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are a number of things to consider here. Since you said she did not have a high sex drive before, this might suggest that it is unrelated to the medication. Keep in mind that depression and/or anxiety can kill a sex drive too so not treating such disorders can make it worse.

Also, a woman's sex drive is typically different than that of a man and should be considered. You could probably benefit from some sex therapy from a reputable therapist but you should have reasonable expectations and not hope for her to be just like you. I would also recommend a book, His Needs; Her Needs that focuses on the differences, by Dr. Willard Harley. He is an experienced marriage counselor and heads Marriage Builders - a program for successful marriage advice.

Also, Wellbutrin as well as Lexapro are antidepressants with few reported sexual side effects and Wellbutrin is sometimes added to a treatment regimen to actually improve the sex drive, so discontinuation of this drug could also bring more problems. Each person is different in how they respond to medications but this is information that as a whole has been found to be the case.

Women can often come to enjoy the sexual encounters once they are happening even if they were not feeling a strong drive ahead of time. This can result in a very satisfying sex life if the expectation is not unrealistic. If you both concentrate on ways to please each other, show kindnesses before getting into bed and find ways to be romantic that will make her want to be with you, there will probably be a place where you can find mutual satisfaction. Don't gauge your love life by what you see on the screen, in pictures, port, or romance novels - these are not real. Accept the couple you are and you can be happy. If you want her to be someone she is not, I doubt you will find this happiness.

Best wishes.[/quote]

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here