News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: 14 and depressed??

AJAJ - Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:33 am

For probably a 2-3 years I have been feeling increasingly depressed. There has been no trigger for the depression to start, nothing bad has happened to me, and yet I feel so unhappy. My depression is interspersed with extremely happy moments, almost too happy, but the depression dominates. I get irritated or tearful very easily, it takes nothing to make me cry. I don't want to meet my friends anymore, I have completely gone off food, I don't have a problem with my weight (like anorexia or bulimia), I just never ever want to eat. I either don't need any sleep, or need too much, I can no longer be bothered to get up for school, around 6 times since September I have pretended to be physically ill because the thought of social interaction is just to much, and I have contemplated death a few times, but have never actually attempted to end my life. I don't self harm and I haven't tried to. I am scared to speak to my parents, as my sister is dyspraxic, and my parents always expect me to be the 'normal one'. I have told one close friend that I have been feeling depressed, but I couldn't tell them the extent of my depression, I made it out to be much less severe than it feels to me. I am scared of seeking medical help, as I am scared of my parents reaction. I am only 14 and I feel like my life is falling apart around me.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:25 am

User avatar Dear AJAJ:

I'm so sorry to hear that you've not been well. It does sound like you have a case of depression, but before we jump to any conclusions, it is important to know about your family history of psychiatric disorders. I am concerned about these periods of being too happy, not needing any sleep, etc. Those symptoms are suggestive of a different type of disorder for which the treatment is very different. It is important for you to find out if at all possible if anyone else in the family has had such episodes.

It's too bad that you feel you cannot tell your parents. They may have "their hands full" because of your sister's illness, but that doesn't mean that you have to be perfect! You should definitely say something to them.

It is my recommendation that you talk to parents, and if you absolutely cannot do that, then find a close relative or school counselor with whom you can discuss everything. No fair leaving out any of the details, such as having thought about death.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here