News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: The Personality of Obese Women

mozymarr - Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:27 am

Hello, I was wondering if there have been any studies done on the Personality of Obese Women. I have a friend that I care for but who is very Morbidly Obese and doesn't seem to mind. She seems to be the "large and proud" type, and some of the things she says sometimes make me wonder if she's not just a little unrealistic. She seems to be in denial but I don't think she believes she is. It's like she lives in her own little world and I was wondering if Obese women have some kind of neuoritic trait that makes them this way?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:34 am

User avatar Dear Mozymarr:

If only it were that simple!! The human mind is very complex, and we simply don't know enough yet to be able to answer these kinds of questions. What we have found with most everything, though, is that disorders tend to be the result of a combination of things. Before we go on, however, let's define what is meant by a "disorder."

A disorder is an abnormal condition that causes some type of impairment that is significant. If your friend's condition is not causing her any kind of functional impairment (e.g., can't work, has poor relationships because of the condition, can't maintain friendships, etc.), then she doesn't actually have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder.

From your description of her personality style, though, my guess is that she is actually somewhat insecure about her appearance. To cope with this stress, she uses various coping mechanisms, as do we all, to make herself feel better about herself. It almost sounds as if she were rationalizing why it might be better to be obese. Rationalization is a documented coping mechanism.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here