News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Anxiety breathing?

maiden75 - Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:33 am

For the last few days, I have been very preoccupied with my breathing. I can't stop thinking about it, and it feels like I am breathing fast and can't get enough air, it feels almost like a sensation of a lump in the throat/chest and it makes me want to cough. If I am distracted I feel just fine, but then if I think about it again, I feel like I can't breathe right. Do you have any suggestions for techniques to help me stop thinking about every breath I take?? Is this just anxiety or stress?? Please help!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:23 am

User avatar Dear Maiden75,

Since you are not taking medications for your anxiety disorder, i think may be it is time for you to talk to your doctor about whether the medications will help in addition to the relaxation techniques that your therapist should teach you.

Breathing should be an unconscious process, if you are aware of your breathing, this becomes a problem. If you don't have any medical problems then this is most probably anxiety.

If this continues, you have to consult with your doctor regarding the possibility of being started on medications.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Calvin - Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Self-awareness of the breathing process and concurrent hyperventilation are the classical symptoms of a panic attack usually triggered by a sudden stressful situation. I would strongly advise seeking your local doctor for counselling and advice on possible need for medication.
Next time it happens, take hold of a paper bag and breathe into it for about 3-5 mins. This should help to stop the attack.
Learn to enjoy life and let not the stresses of life bog you down.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here