Question: A physical or mental health problem (panic attacks) ?

Veronikas84 - Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:37 pm

Lately i have had what I think are panic attacks and I'm not sure if they are and where they are comming from. About 3 years ago i had a head injury. I fell and hit the back of my head on a rock, that is all I remember. At that point i blacked out and later I was told that i went into a massive whole body seizure and my eyes rolled back. One of my friends had to put their fingers in my mouth so I wouldnt swallow my tounge. At the end of the seizure I was still passed out for about 10 minutes. During that time somebody called 911, i came to just in time when they came, and i didnt have insurance so I told them i was fine and I didnt have a seizure. So i was never checked for that. For about 2 weeks after that i felt wierd, I was out of balance, and felt sick and dizzy. I blacked out when i drank alcohol, i also felt like passing out sometimes. But these things went away, so i never went to the doctor for them. They went away till about a month ago. I was at a concert and I think i had a panic attack. First i felt dizzy, the sounds were getting slower, and I saw really wierd colors, my stomach hurt, vision was blurry, i felt sick, and i was sweating so much, my heart was beating a lot too. I sat down and had a crazy feeling that I was urinating in public, but i wasnt, and i was so scared that everyone knew. After that it almost happend twice again , i almost sat through the whole concert. It almost happend again at another show outside, but i sat down in time. I could feel it comming, and i feel panic. And the last time it happend was not at any people filled place, but at a small gas station at 8am, this time when i sat down it didnt go away as fast as the other times. I sat just sweating and my stomch churning for about 15 minutes. The last wierd thing that happend is a few days ago my pupils were greatly dialated. Now i know I have to go and seek medical advide, but what kind of doctor should i go to. And is this a mental problem or a physical one?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:20 am

User avatar Dear Veronika,

Are these symptoms related to smoking marijuana? Please stop smoking marijuana and see what this does to your syptoms.

What you are describing is a state of increased adrenaline. It could be related to many causes including anxiety but i don't like hanging anything on anxiety and psychological problems until i make sure that all organic causes have been excluded.

Your blood pressure has to be taken during the attacks, so you have to seek medical advice as soon as possible.

|