News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Worried about mental state - suicidal, paranoid with friends

Daniel89 - Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:39 am

Dear Doctor,
I'm worried about the mental state of my mind. I find it difficult to get to sleep at night. I usually don't go to sleep till about 3, even when I wake up early to go to uni. I sometimes think that i heard my phone ringing only to check it and find out that hasn't been. I have suicidal and destructive thoughts daily though I don't believe that I'm in actual danger of acting upon these thoughts. The thoughts seem to stay for awhile and then come back later in the day. I have a sort of paranoid relationship with my friends, constantly wondering if they are my friends or not, even though I know that they are. When I am feeling down it almost feels like my skull has shrunk in size and there's more pressure on my brain. I have a shy personality and haven't any romantic relationships.

Should I see a psychiatrist about these issues? Is it likely that I have some form of depression, stress, anxiety or bipolar disorder? I've been this way since adolescence. If anymore information in required I am more than happy to reply. Thank you for your time.

Daniel
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:35 pm

User avatar Hello Daniel,

I would strongly recommend you see your doctor to discuss these symptoms. I am particularly concerned about your suicidal thoughts. A full examination can help determine if there are issues with depression or another illness that may be causing these symptoms.

If you actively feel like you are going to kill yourself I would strongly ask that you call 911 immediately.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here