Question: Third person perspective on life

zebra - Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:42 am

I seem to be habiting a state of mind in which i view what is happening through a third person perspective although not derealization.

It is not an indication in anyway of depression at all. Whether or not I am grumpty, really happy, or in any varying state of excitement or melancholy it persists. I am curious whether there is a name for this and if there are possible solutions.

As for the symptoms;it's sort of like watching a story. Everything that is happening is extremely detached and it is as though I am watching myself. This causes me to be extremely emotionally detached from what is going on sometimes to the point of callousness. A good way of describing how I feel all the time is being stoned (on pot) minus the ability to not be coherent and intelligent. This doesn't mean I don't have a personality but just that the personality that i have is somehow separate from me.

I don’t remember feeling this way always. I do remember that it really started when I first started smoking pot, which makes me think that the drug in some way caused my brain chemistry to change/made me permafried. I do not spoke pot anymore and have maybe gotten stoned 20 times in my life so this theory would seem dubious were it not for the fact that whenever I am around pot being smoked this feeling increases.

It is obviously rather daunting to think of going through life as though it was not really happening. Going through the motions is another way of describing this. I’m not involved with what happens to me. An example would be when I’m learning something new. I can learn it but I really am only distantly concentrating on it. It is as though there is a conscience behind the thing that is me, that is separate and is just there. I don’t associate myself with this body and this mind.

This is not a scary or negative sensation- just an ever constant. It would just be great to actually feel as though I was where I am, feeling what I’m feeling and there was nothing else. To just be my body there where I am.. To be more involved /engaged.

I would very much appreciate some insight into the name of this (oh the comfort in having a name)/ possible treatments/ ideas on the subject.

Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 pm

User avatar Dear Zebra:

You are in a dissociated state. This can happen for many different reasons--it could be some medication you take, it could be from the marijuana, or it could be from certain mental disorders, such as PTSD.

If you have had traumatic experiences in the past, you should definitely consider seeing a therapist about the possibility of PTSD. If you are taking any medications, talk to the prescriber about your symptoms.

zebra - Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:55 am

hey thanks for the reply. This is definitely not a for of ptsd- i've had a stress free and cushy life. In terms of the marijuana, I never used it in copious amounts.I also take no medications- totally mentally sound, aside from this strange state of mind. Are there any names for "mental disorders" that this reassembles? If not, that is fine; I will probably consult with a therapist.

Thanks again
 zebra - Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:40 am

For those interested, I found a name for the symptoms I described - Depersonalization which is apparently common

|