Question: Am I losing my mind?

revolvement - Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:15 am

First off, some descriptive stuff:

24 yr old male, in pretty good physical health, yet I seem to have some problems.

First off, I hear voices. I sometimes talk to them, sometimes I just listen. Most of the time, they're simply commentary on what I'm doing, and sometimes they tell me to hurt myself or others. They don't sound like anybody I know, either.

Secondly, I think someone is putting thoughts in my head that aren't mine. I'll oftentimes be talking with someone, or thinking about something, when BAM! My thought gets interrupted by some weird thought that has nothing to do with the situation at hand, e.g. I was talking with my girlfriend last night, when suddenly the thought "Cattle mutilations are kind of odd" came into my head, when the topic of discussion had nothing to do with cattle mutilation.

Thirdly, sometimes I get paranoid. Like, heart-racing, sweating-bullets, afraid of strangers because they could be assassins paranoid.

What bothers me is that, there's a history of mental illness or chemical imbalance in my family(On my dad's side; his dad(My grandfather) had hallucinations and anger issues and eventually killed himself, his mother was emotionally detached from everyone, and my dad has the same thing as my grandfather, except possibly worse(He sometimes has delusions, like that he can cure people with his touch when he can't), and I'm afraid I'm going to develop the same thing, or worse, that it's already started.

Please help.

Sincerely, Greg
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:05 pm

I think you are having enough symptoms to warrant a complete psychiatric evaluation. This can be quite involved with multiple tests and interviews to discover if this is a disorder and to decide on appropriate treatment. You are wise to consider the possibility so you can get treatment earlier rather than after things may progress and you could be less able to think clearly. I would recommend you call to get an appointment with a psychiatrist and explain just what you have here because you have done an excellent job of describing your symptoms and this is important.

Many strides have been made in mental health, even since your family members' situations. Good luck on this. Let us know how it goes.

revolvement - Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:46 pm

Thank you. However I fear that this will get worse before I can get help, as I just started a new job and have to wait a month before I can get benefits through work. And today, while at work, i kept having panic attacks because I was certain that my boss and coworkers were plotting against me somehow, to hurt me or cause me to lose my job. And I'm afraid to tell anyone, because they'll just use this information against me.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:46 am

User avatar Dear Greg:

This certainly is a big problem for you. When you are at work, I want you to try to reassure yourself that others are not plotting against you. First of all, it doesn't make any logical sense that they would do so. Next, I want you to think back to all the times this may have happened before, how many times your fears were justified by objective evidence, and how many times it turned out that your fears were unfounded. Behaviors can be interpreted in many ways. It is easy to misperceive innocent behaviors as malicious. Lastly, if all of the above fail, try asking yourself why would others want to do this? If you are unable to keep your job through the month to get to the benefits, or if you get worse before the end of the month, go to the emergency room. There are many community mental health clinics (every county has one) that charge very little for services, and if medication is warranted, they can often give it to you without you having to purchase it from a pharmacy.

Good luck. Please do keep in touch. Voice such as those that you hear are nothing to "mess around with." I've seen many patients who've been just holding things together when the voices quickly turn menacing and loud--too much to ignore. Get help as quickly as you possibly can!

|