Question: Dysthymic Disorder since i was 11? Or just my personality?

chewy0901 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:52 pm

I am 17 years old female with no history of mental illness or disorders. Parents have both been diagnosed with mental illnesses, dad about 8 years ago but is well now. Mum with bipolar disorder 3 years ago and is still being treated.

Ever since i was 11, i have been extremely negative about my appearance, my education and anything of what i do. I experienced anxiety everyday from little things such as small test results or achieving well in everything i do. I don't tend to do much, as i prefer staying at home and try do some work. I at least cry once a day, it could be about something very insignificant, or when i'm daydreaming about home life. I tend to regret a lot of things and i don't like making decisions, this contributes to trying to work as i have difficulties working. I get jealous very easily and if i do get jealous, i fall depressed and tend to cry about it as i think my life is very dull. I get angry very often, but don't tend to say anything and just let it go.

Daily life usually runs fine but when i get any spare time on my own, i think and become very depressed. My friends say im really pessimistic and harsh on myself, but i think it's because im very self conscious. When i try to do work, it takes me hours to actually sit down and do it. I usually drift off and think about something else, and this usually happens in class aswell. I'm a particularly shy person, and get scared when having to deal with strangers when i am at work (restaurant).

My parents have had many mental breakdowns, and several occasions i have had extremely difficult times coping with events within the house. My mum was a silent Buddhist since i was 8 years old, so she never spoke to me. (maybe the odd yes or no) I'm uncertain of whether this depression is from home life, teenage puberty or just me.

I found the symptoms of dysthymic disorder. I'm wondering whether this is describing all teenage personalities or whether i should seek help now, because i have reached to a peak at depression, due to a recent move away from friends and a family member. Thankyou if anyone helps.
 Tim W Latsko - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:58 pm

Dear Chewy0901,

I agree it sounds like a good time to seek counsel from a licensed professional. Your age suggests that you are in formal educational program, given that contact your school psychologist or guidance counselor and request a referral to local clinician. If you are uncomfortable with that or it is not possible, contact your local community mental health center.

Wether or not you are suffering from dysthymic disorder can be answered by the clinician with whom you have face to face contact and only after a clinical interview.

Take good care and keep us posted on your progress.

Tim
 chewy0901 - Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:07 pm

I went for my first session yesterday...it went ok but it made me cry a lot....i don't think i like constant crying because whenever i talk about it it makes me upset. However i did feel like it was nice to know someone responsible knows about what is going on.

The clinician thing...you're right im going to be uncomfortable about that. For the mean time i will take these sessions once a week and see how the person counseling me will suggest. Thanks a lot...i hope to make this long term and see if i can feel any better about life...
 Tim W Latsko - Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:38 pm

chewy0901,

It is good to hear that you have sought counsel, give it try for a few weeks and if you feel that the person you are seeing is not a good fit ask to see someone else.

therapy doesn''t have to focus on negative, however in the beginning you may find yourself crying a bit more than expected, it does get better and you are you heading the right direction. Keep a positive attitude..youo'll make it!

Tim

|