Question: My 8 year old saw private photo of mom.

cruz1369 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 pm

I am worried about my daughter seeing a photo of her mother in a sexual position. My daughter was nosing around where she should not have been and came across these photos and now is very upset with her mother about them. How do I handle this? What do I say to her? Will she need counseling?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:47 pm

User avatar Hello Cruz1369,

This can be a bit of a difficult situation. My advise is to sit down with your daughter and have an open discussion with her about what she saw. Answer any questions she may have. I suspect much of her anger may actually be confusion.

Keep in mind that she is eight so try to keep the information you give her at an eight year old level. It is very possible, and probably likely, that she is not really thinking all the things that you are thinking about so talk with her and find out what she is wondering about. This way you may not need to even bring up all the things I'm sure are going through your thoughts.

If she feels like you're hiding things from her she may be more upset and more curious as to what the "big deal" is about the pictures so being open with her is likely the best way to help her cope with this.

If this is unsuccessful and there are still concerns it is certainly reasonable to have her see a therapist that specializes in child counseling to help her.

|