Question: Rivortil when not prescribed

missmax - Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Hello I think my step mother is giving my 70 yr old father Rivotril...He isn't Bi-polar, he's does Not have Epilepsy, and does Not have anxiety. Could you please tell me another reason to give someone this medication. She had been giving him Lorazepam without his knowledge a while back, but then said she stopped because he drinks . I really need some answers and help for the safety of my father.
Thank you
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:33 pm

User avatar Dear Miss Max:

Rivotril is a brand name for clonazepam, which is a very potent benzodiazepine. It is used for anxiety, insomnia, and seizures, and many other disorders, off-label (meaning not specifically indicated for the condition). Interestingly, it is of the same class as Ativan, which your mother had previously given your father and discontinued because of his drinking. Clonazepam is more potent than Ativan, which means it is even less desirable to use than Ativan. Your mother should know that this is a powerfully sedating drug and is CONTRADICATED in the presence of alcohol consumption.

I think maybe it would be best to notify her physician that she is doing this, or may be doing this. That way, the physician can determine what it is your mother thinks your father needs the medicine for and treat him appropriately.

Good luck!

|