Question: Alcoholism - how long to cause liver damage?

mwilkers - Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:31 pm

I am very concerned about how long it actually takes to have liver damage. I have been drinking again for six years and already am back up to a case a day.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:10 pm

User avatar Dear mwilkers:

There is no way to predict how long it will take for liver damage to occur because of alcohol consumption. Some people are able to tolerate excessive intake of alcohol longer than are others. It will also depend on your general health and the presence/absence of other liver diseases.

For example, if one has hepatitis, particularly Hepatitis C, liver problems would likely manifest sooner rather than later. I would like to add that excessive consumption of alcohol in the presence of Hepatitis C infection is playing with fire.

If you feel that you are ready to get help with your problem, please speak with your physician, or contact alcohol treatment programs in your area. Even if you have no personal funds available to pay for this kind of treatment, many states do have public funds available. You would simply need to apply.

|