Question: Is this depression / serious psychiatric problem? (Male)

Novuss - Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:41 pm

My partner, a 31 year old male, has been suffering for a few years with bouts of depression. He can be quite happy for a while and then will start to feel low, and has come to expect his life to go in cycles like this without any apparent cause of the depression. I am concerned that he may have some kind of psychiatric disorder. He also still lives at home with his parents, despite having the resources available to live independently and dreads going on holidays and looks forward to coming back to his home environment.

His depression seems to be more concerned with the world in general rather than events within his own life, e.g. he shows concern at how greedy and selfish people are and feels despondent with life in general. He is also very unhappy in his work, although he studied for years and gained excellent qualifications including a first class degree. He worries about his parents dying and is extremely sensitive to other people’s feelings and emotions. He has an intense phobia of vomiting where he has not vomited for the last 20 years and struggles to be around me if I have vomited. He is also obsessed with being anti-materialistic to the point where he has got rid of a lot of his possessions and wants me to do the same! He is so anti-materialistic that he decided to sell all his stocks and shares as he felt that he should not be making money for not doing any work! Finally, he appears nervous about meeting new people although around people he is familiar with he seems happy and confident. Is any of the above cause for concern? He has had counselling in the past and tried Prozac for two weeks then stopped as it made him feel suicidal but I am worried that this problem may be more deep rooted. Hope you are able to help. Many thanks.
 Tim W Latsko - Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:42 am

Hello Novuss

Welcome, The constellation of symtpoms that you have presented suggests that your partner may benefit from an evaluation from a psychiatrist. However, getting him to a therapist may be more of a relaistic goal for an intial assessment given your presentation. I would like to add that you may want to provide your narrative to the attending provider. It was very clear and well written.

In some cultures it is appropriate for off-spring to stay with their primary caregivers until marrying or joining their life partner. However, I suspect that you have accounted for cultural norms or mores and this is not just an issue for you but it is not commonly found in the culture in which you live.

The sum of the symptomolgy you present warrants evaluation. What is equally important is your approach to your partner in encouraging him to seek assistance. That said, may I recommend that you approach him in the same manner in which you composed your posting: open, caring, and genuine. Should he become upset and unwilling to meet with a professional because of his past experiences assure him that not all mental health providers are the same and he just may need to find a diiferent provider.

Continue your pursuit of aiding your partner, he needs you right now; times like this are difficult as we watch those who we love become someone who is unfamiliar to us. Keep on trying.....we are all entitle to have problems...and we are entitled to ask for help...and accept help.

Good Luck,

Tim
I can not make a diagnosis without a face to face interview.
 Novuss - Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:56 am

Many thanks for your response. I live in the UK and the cultural norm for myself and my partner (a middle class caucasian) is generally to move out of home as soon as you are financially able to do so, as I presume would also be the case in the US for people of this background. Thank you for evaluating the symptoms I gave you. It is reassuring almost in a strange way to know that I am not being paranoid myself! I will try and follow your advice regarding getting him to seek an intial evaluation from a psychiatrist, and I guess I will have to do this through his General Practitioner (I’m not sure if our health system works in the same way as yours). I do regularly talk to him about his problems in order to not only help him but to try and better understand him myself and will continue to support him through this. Thank you again for allowing me to take up some of your time and for your informative advice which will be put to good use.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

User avatar Dear Novuss:

I would like to add that sometimes people go through a spiritual change that can look like this. I recently saw a young lady who had just such a problem.

Good luck!
 TheSystem - Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Kudos doc for recognizing that *spiritual* issues can have as significant an impact as a *physical* problem. Actually all physical problems are rooted in spiritual issues, but that's going a bit far for this board. I don't think everyone should get off their meds and starting praying or meditating, but I will say that spiritual issues play a far, far greater role in the disease process and that the mind - with all its unexplored territory, is far more powerful than any drug.

Remember, we occupy a body that is sensitive to atmospheric shifts (incoming storms), tides and the pull of the moon, allergic to things that may be 1 part per million....things like diet, electromagnetic activity, cell-phone towers (don't throw the conspiracy stuff at me - read the military sites about the crowd control devices the police are using in Seattle, WA - all electromagnetic) and energy. A shift in the cranial plates through something like craniosacral work or massage, or a blow to the head, too tight a hat or even a work helmet with a constricting band - can alter personality as well - as can a change in diet or nutrition, the addition of a vitamin supplement or lack of a nutrient has been known to cause almost undiagnosable problems!

To say that a *spiritual* awakening, such as Kundalini, is not out of the question. What was the study done on how thought can change a single cell? Or what about the studies done on prayer and recovery rates? Impressive. A medical intuitive, I've worked with doctors to pinpoint cancers and tumors in people and have been very accurate. Why? I simply feel a different vibration - "thanks" to the DID I suppose. The *gift* in the curse. All of life is vibration - and scientists are seeing that now. But I can't really go into string theory and physics here. Read "The Molecules of Emotion" by Dr. Candace Pert - and some of her more recent stuff too. Anyway - I've seen incredible progress made in my life with prayer. My doc's won't even admit that there is such a realm, so thanks for having the backbone to say it. You go girl!

|