News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Surgery or Therapy for Pseudocyesis

TeaCoseyOnFire - Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:22 pm

I'm pretty sure my friend is suffering from Pseudocyesis, her symptoms of pregnancy (distended hard belly, breast leakage, fetal movements & heartbeat, swollen hands & feet) have gone on for more than a year now. Every test including HCG levels, Cat scans, U/S, MRI and X-rays have been negative. She was referred to a therapist but she is still convinced she is pregnant and will not listen to anyone. She definitely looks pregnant and there is no way it is just fat, her belly is hard and round, she has trouble walking even and finds it very hard to get into bed. She didn't want to be pregnant and wasn't depressed before the symptoms started. It has totally turned her life upside down, she had to quit school and change jobs. Would you ever recommend exploratory surgery in cases where the patient can't accept the results of any other test? I read that the distended belly can be relieved with general anesthesia if it is gas etc. Are the risks of surgery too great? Any advice is helpful. Thank you for your time!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Dear Tea Cosy on Fire,

I will do a literature search on this one as it's a new one to me. Hope to get back to you tomorrow!

-Dr. Seigle

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here