Question: Lithium asperate or Lithium orotate for Bipolar help

Bru023 - Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:11 am

Hi i was once prescribed lithium Carbonate about 5 years ago and havent had any since. I was wondering which over the counter-Vitamin Lithium is better or more effective to take as a daily supplement to help. And if taken can it be combined with any (SSRI) medications ex.Zoloft . thank you for any Feed back
 Dr. K. Eisele - Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:24 pm

User avatar Dear Bru023:

I looked up lithium vitamin supplements, and found that they contain only 5 mg of actual lithium in them. People who are bipolar need to take at minimum 300 mg twice a day to control their symptoms. If you are indeed bipolar, you would need to take 60 of the supplement pills twice daily. They come in bottles of 100, at least the ones I saw did, and cost $6.00 a bottle. You would then spend more than $12 daily for what you could get at the pharmacy for only 42 cents a day, and you would know that what you are actually taking is lithium, pharmaceutical grade.

Bru023 - Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 pm

thank you doctor i appreciate your help, well ive been doing "ok" when i was on lithium i lost touch with reality a bit . but now ive havent had any manic episodes at all for 5 years or so just deppression, and anxiety and panic attacks just recently , so i was looking for just a little help without the full side effects of lithium Carbonate and having to see the doctor because i have no health coverage sooo thank you

|