Question: COULD IT BE POSTPARTUM OR BIPOLAR

mimi8710 - Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am

HI I AM 29 YEARS OLD, I HAVE A 2 YEAR SON. jANUARY MARKED A YEAR THAT MY STEP DAD DIED. MY MOM(WHO WAS DIAGNOSED WITH SEVERE DEPRESSION) WAS IN VERY BAD SHAPE. I HAVE NEVER REALLY DELT WITH THE FACT THAT HE DIED BECAUSE WE WERE REALLY CLOSE. ANYWAY,I NOT SURE WHATS WRONG WITH ME. YESTERDAY I HAD AN EPISODE. THE REASON POSTPARTUM IS IN MY THINKNG IS BECAUSE IT ALWAYS STARTS WITH MY SON. USUALLY WHEN HE STARTS WHINING AND I CAN'T GET HIM TO STOP. THEN I JUST START THINKING THAT I WASN'T MEANT TO BE A MOM OR THAT I CAN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE. YESTERDAY I DROPPED HIM OFF AT HIS GRANDMAS HOUSE AND WENT HOME. I GOT INTO BED AND BEGGED GOD TO JUST LET ME DIE. I LOVE MY SON SO MUCH. BUT SOMTIMES I GET SO ANGRY I SCARE MYSELF. WHEN HE WAS JUST A BABY I HAD TO JUST LAY HIM IN HIS CRIB AND GO OUT SIDE. WHEN I HAVE MY "EPISODES" I HAVE UNCONTROLABLE CRYING, JUST WANTING TO END IT, OR DISAPPEAR, LIKE NO ONE LOVES ME OR CARES ABOUT ME. WHY SHOULD THEY? I KNOW I SHOULD GO TO THE DOCTOR BUT I HAVE TALKED TO HIM BEFORE AND HE PUT ME ON WELBRUTIN I STOP TAKING IT BECAUSE IT MADE ME SLEEPY ALLTHE TIME. HE CHECKED MY THYROID THEY ARE FINE. HE HAS TRIED EVERYTHING BUT BIPOLAR AND POSTPARTUM. I JUST DON'T WANT TO WASTE HIS TIME OR MY MONEY IF ITS JUST WHAT EVERYBODY SAYS. I FEEL NOBODY TAKES ME SERIOUS MAYBE THEY WILL IF SOMEHTING HAPPENS TO ME. ANYWAY PLEASE HELP CUZ NO ONE ELSE WILL.
 Tim W Latsko - Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:57 pm

mimi8710,

It sounds like there is a lot going on right now.

What is most important at this point is for you to be seen by a psychiatrist or emergency room physician, today. If you can not be seen by your guy today, call his office or your insurance provider and ask for a referral to someone who can see you today. If there isn't a psychiatrist available go to the emergency room.

Now, that said, be sure to inform whoever yoou see that you have tried wellbutrin previously and that the side effects were undesirable. There are newer medication available that reduce the side effects that you mentioned.

As well, medication alone in some situations is sufficient, however may I suggest that you find a therapist who might be comfortable with exploring these issues, give it a few sessions, sbout 4, and if its' not working ask for a referral to someone who is more....you will know by then what you are looking for in a therapist. Whatever you do, do just quit for "the only failure is the failure to try". I heard that somewhere and it holds alot of meaning...

You can do this, take care of yourself, your son, and those close to you. Seek out that helper...

to answer your question, directly, you might want to consider major depressive disorder...

Good luck and keep us posted, you can make it! These feelings of dread will pass with a little help.

tim
 mimi8710 - Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Thank you so much for replying to me. I honestly thought this was a gimmic but i am desperate. Do you think that with out treatment i will be ok? Do you think that it could just pass. Everything that i have read about depression is that it is a chemical embalance disease. Is that true? My grandfather, uncle and my mom all have a chemical embalance that causes suicide. My grandfather and uncle both killed them selves. My mom still struggles with it i am sure. Especially since my step dad died. I don't want my son to grow up with the problems that i have now. I already see the angry issues. Anyway thanks again-mimi
 Dr. K. Eisele - Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:08 am

User avatar Dear Mimi:

I would like to add on to Tim's very appropriate advice. Please do not give up! There is a lot at stake here--your health, your son's health, probably your mother's health, as well.

I don't think you are suffering from Post-Partum Depression, and I can't tell from what you've said so far if you might have Bipolar Disorder or not. One thing is very certain, though, and that is that you are DANGEROUSLY depressed. You are correct in that depression and other mental disorders are chemical imbalances, and that these chemical imbalances can be passed on through a family. You are particularly at risk because there are member of your family who have actually committed suicide vs. unsuccessfully attempted suicide.

You need to be on medicine. The research on the best treatment for depression has shown over and over again that you need medication and psychotherapy. Some psychiatrists do practice psychotherapy and some don't, and many psychiatrists are associated with psychologists who specialize in psychotherapy. It is the psychologists who are the experts at psychotherapy. I am also very sure that the physician you need to be seeing is a psychiatrist rather than primary care physician. You have a very serious illness and it needs treatment, by a psychiatrist, who is the expert at psychiatric medications.

Please get help!
 Tim W Latsko - Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Mimi8710,

To add to my initial comments and Dr. Eisele's.

Go today and see a psychiatrist for an evaluation and medication. My first concern though is for you to be seen and to begin treatment. Once you have done that..let us know...and I know that you will find a psychiatrist and a therapist who will meet your expectations..

Take good care,

Tim

|