News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: medical facts about suicide

Kinzienoordman - Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:48 pm

Hi, I have to write a report on suicide, and I needed a few medical questions answered. This paper is only refering to the type of suicide when people slit their wrists.

1. How long does it take for someone to die after sliting their wrists?

2. What is the "safe zone" of time from when someone first slits their wrists and starts bleeding to where they can no longer be saved. Meaning how long does someone have to call an ambulance before its too late?

3. What is the medical procedure after someone is taken to a hospital after trying to commite suicide?

4. Are there any negative after effects of slitting your wrist, i.e. brain damage, or something besides just blood loss.

5. Is it possible for someone else, besides trained medical personel, to save someone from dying after they slit their wrists? If yes, then what is the proper procedure.

6. Last but not least, on average how much does it cost to be treated for trying to commit suicide.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm also looking for links where I can get my questions answered if you know of anyplace.
 Anonymous - Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:55 pm

I'm justifying your post by trying to assure myself that you are a high school student at the most. Suicide is a matter, that if studied, should be taken more seriously and researched more deeply. How long before it's too late? That would depend on the damage done, wouldn't you think. There is no two cases ever the same, therefore, the facts will also change. :wink: :wink:
 dnflgmn - Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:01 pm

I am not a doctor but I am someone who has tried cutting her wrists before and I am very concerned that you (Kinzienoordman) are not writing a report and are actually considering slitting your wrists. I do not say this to accuse you of lying but out of genuine concern, because I asked people (ie my biology teacher) similar questions before I did it. Please don't slit your wrists, I can tell from your questions that you are not sure you want to do it because you are asking what might happen if you survive. I don't know what to do to help you but I will just tell you that my suicide attempts were years ago and now i am very happy to be alive and very very glad that I did not kill myself. (Sorry, this will sound really stupid if you are writing a report, but I had to say something.)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here