News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Memory & Spelling Problems

Avolon - Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 pm

From the time I was little my spelling was terrible. For me words would change. One moment the word looked like it was spelled correctly the next it looked like a whole new word and spelled horribly wrong. I still struggle with my spelling.For the last several years I also have memory problems, one min I know what something is called or what someone's name is the next min I cant remember at all. Things I see or use daily it takes several seconds to recall the name when I forget it, but if I havent used the word in a while I may not remember it at all. I'm only 29. I've never drank, smoked or did drugs. I have to be very organized to survive, I make lists and write everything down because if I don't I usualy forget until its too late. My husband who is younger than I also has difficulty remember things only he isnt organized and is a complete mess when it comes to remembering to do things. But he is a computer WIZ and the way he remembers numbers he hears only once is amazing. I on the other hand cant remember numbers to save my life unless I repete them alot and give them a rythem. If I have something in my hand and I don't take special care to keep it there I will misplace it and find it in the weirdest places say keys in the fridge. My mother is scatter brained and so are my sisters and brothers. But I think I take the Cake! Organization is the only thing keeping
me from being totaly depressed about this. Could I be lacking some vitamins? Do I have Alzhimers? I'm not too worried about this now, what I'm worried about is if it progresses. What can I do?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Avolon,

While vitamin deficiencies can cause thinking problems, it is doubtful that you have had a vitamin deficiency since childhood with a constant poor memory with trouble spelling. It is possible that your spelling and memory problems are in the realm of a learning disability. It is not likely to be progressive, to get worse until you reach middle age, when short term memory can be poorer for some people.
It sounds like you've done well developing strategies to compensate for your weak memory, like writing things down. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here