News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Constant Body Fatigue - Anti-Social Attitude

Zanlee - Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Hello,

I am a 24 year old man and attend an large university. I have been struggling with issues since adolescences and have never pursued professional medical help in the past until recently concerning psychological symptoms.

My symptoms are:

Constant Body Fatigue
Anti-Social Attitude
Trouble Falling Sleeping
Trouble Waking Up
Fear of letting people down
Not Being Good Enough
Trouble Concentrating
Falling Asleep in Classes
Losing things everyday
Bad short term memory
Racing thoughts
Jumping from one "project" to another
Extremely forgetful
Loneliness
Anxious
Lack of sex drive
Lack of verbal communication
Hopelessness
Mildly paranoid
Falling asleep while reading
Lack of interest in previous activities
Lack of excitement
Random spurts of uncontrollable actions
Leg shakes
Daily uneventfulness feelings
Physical inadequacy

I pursued help for the first time about a month and a half ago at my university medical clinic and have talked to a psychologist on a weekly basis up until a week ago when she referred me to a psychiatrist to pursue medication. Since that referral I have yet to go back. I have neither heard a diagnosis or anything related to what my problem(s) is.

So my questions are:

Given my symptoms, what would you diagnosis be if had had been talking with you over the course of six weeks?
If I pursue medication, what do you believe would most likely be prescribed?

(Note: I had gotten the impression that they were only (or mostly) concerned with depression. They had not mentioned any other than this disorder.)

Given that I am receiving med. attention from a university, do you believe there is a bias in what is being prescribed?

Thank you,

Lee
 raereeser - Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 pm

I am no doctor but it sounds like you could have some type of mood or bipolar disorder. You should read up on it. I did and I am now getting help. Best of luck and wishes to you.

Take Care
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi Zanlee,

Your feelings, thoughts and symptoms suggest the possibility of one of or a combination of more than one of the following disorders: depression, bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity (ADHD). You might want to get in touch with your evaluating psychiatrist and, when asking about the diagnosis, you can ask about these specifically- why they were or weren't diagnosed. Distinguishing between a manic or hypomanic phase of a bipolar disorder and ADHD can be tricky. I don't know about any bias existing with regard to university-based evaluations.

Good luck, I'm glad you started to look for help; don't be afraid to ask questions.

Sincerely, Eliot Seigle, MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here