News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Is melitonin ok to take if you have Bi-polar?

Bru023 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello i am interested in trying a melatonin supplement to help me sleep longer and better and get to sleep faster the only problem is that ive been diagnosed with bipolar , and have done some research and found multiple articles claiming melitonin is benificial for people with Bi-polar and schizophrenia , but i also have came across some warnings against depressed people and taking melatonin and to consult a a doctor before use . I was wondering about the final verdict on melatonin can it be taken by people with mental conditions? when i was in the hospital i was given Ambien to help me sleep . Thank you for any help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 am

User avatar Hello,
I don't know of any specific warnings against taking melatonin with mental illnesses and most likely the concern would be with any drug to drug interactions. So, it might depend on what medications you are on. It is always best to check with your prescribing physician when adding over-the-counter medications to a prescription. In some cases you can decrease the effectiveness of your treatment or exacerbate symptoms so your doctor should be aware of your questions, needs and sleep issues.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here