Question: Does Abilify treat anxiety or cause anxiety?

raereeser - Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm

I was taking klonopin for my anxiety. My nurse said it was making me worse! She took me off the klonopin and has now put me on Abilify. I just read online that a common side effect of Abilify is ANXIETY! Is there a drug that is safe to take along with abilify? My nurse has just gone out of town, but I can talk to someone else about getting medication, would Xanax be okay to take with it and would it work better than the klonopin? PLEASE help me ASAP!!!!
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Dear raeseeser,

Abilify will generally be beneficial for anxiety, though it can also be a side effect. This is common for anti-anxiety medications, that occasionally they have increased anxiety as a side effect. Xanax has the potential complication of being short-acting, causing anxiety quickly as it wears off. It is also difficult to be taken off of it, with a withdrawal syndrome being common. I would consider going with your provider's recommendation if you trust him, or getting a second opinion. If you try the Abilify, and it happens to cause anxiety, then your provider might switch medications. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

|