Question: Difficulty sleeping - anxious and overthinking things

mogwai32 - Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi, I am a nineteen year old male and I have been feeling low for at least a year now but am unsure if it is anything that should be seen to by my Gp or not. It was only recently suggested to me that I may have depression so I did do a little research and found that not all the symptoms applied to me so I am unsure. I feel that I may be making a fuss out of nothing.

I often find it difficult to sleep due to being anxious and overthinking things and sleep for long periods of time when i do. Often I would come home in the afternoon/evening and go straight to bed and feel the need to nap during the day. I have noticed that I am very forgetfull at times and find it difficult to remember specific things and lose concentration easily, sometimes in the middle of conversation or when people are talking to me. I have recently dropped out of college and currently have no job and I have the overwhelming feeling that I am failing and no matter what I do I will still fail. Lack of money is also a big worry but I found that even when I was comfortable with cash I had these thoughts at the back of my mind. My appetite is poor and I find that even if i enjoy the food I do not feel like eating for very long and I have becine rather skinny. I enjoy sex far less than I used too. I am very pessimistic about the future and feel hopeless towards my life a lot. I do feel sluggish and irritable a lot of the time and that I lack energy.

I do tend to keep these feelings to myself mostly and find that to my friends I come across as a completely different person, joining in and socialising as they and I always would but tend to refrain from drinking as I feel embarassed or ashamed the next day, even if I have done nothing embarassing, although some of them have noticed that I seem a little negitive or scared at times. There are other things too but I feel I have gone on for too long here.

My Mother is a Nurse and when I asked her about being depressed she suggested that I didnt tick all the boxes, that I seem to be interested in hobbies etc, but I find that I keep a lot of what is going on from her, my girlfriend on the otherhand is convinced that I should see my Gp. I am just unsure as I think I may be wasting their time when there is nothing really wrong.

Thank You
 Tim W Latsko - Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 pm

mogwai32,

As Iread through your post and considered all the information presented, depression and adjustment disorder with depressed mood and anxiety come to mind as disorders to consider during a clinical evaluation. That said, there is weighted criteria in the diagnostic process for any of the mental health disorders, equally important and weighted is the clinicians judgment which may include a diagnosis that a checklist may otherwise may exclude.

Given that the two most important women in your life have differing views on your current functioning and your own discomfort with the same, an evalaution is in-order wether by your GP, Psychiatrist, psychologist, or other mental health practioner to rule out your concerns.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tim

|