News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Severe anger linked with fevers

legallybrunette - Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:51 am

I would realy appreciate some help here;
I am 18 years old, and have a boyfriend who is 18; i suffer from mononucleosis, and have surely passed this onto him. Howeevr, he was actually tested for this but it came out negative, but i believe that the tests are unreliable, and a second test would prove this.
My boyfriend has suffered from severe anger states, and i don't really know what to call them, for most of his life, however recently they have got worse
I didnt really know where to post this topic, as it is related to lots of different things.
He is under a lot of pressure at the moment, related to exams and his parents, and these emotional states are increasing. I have also noticed that they are accompanied by extremely high fevers, often reaching 105 degrees F or more... He is prone to high fevers, as his body temp is normally above average. During these fevers, he becomes delirious, and very weak and very dizzy, and is not able to commnicate properly and cries iradically.
As a general rule, he does have high blood pressure, which is a concern as he is probably actualy underweight, and used to be very fit and healthy. HE has alwyas had this high blood pressure, and his brother also does.
I'm unsure as to whether all these factors are linked - are the fevers just due to glandular fever, or are they related to his mental state?
I do not like the way he deteriorates so fast when he gets a fever. HE used to have them much more frequently, however they are apearing further apart now.
His parents do not take him to the doctors because they beleive in herbal remedies and think its something to do with spirits (he is nepalese and a hindu), however i am very concerned and would really really like some help.
Thank you,
Emma-may
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:21 pm

legallybrunette,

You are describing a number of symptoms of concern including episodic high fevers associated with a change in mental state. It sounds like your boyfriend may need a thorough evaluation with an internist or family doctor. Fevers as high as 105 degrees can be serious, and high blood pressure should be treated. The list of causes of these symptoms are many; a medical assessment is suggested.

-Eliot Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here