Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: How to switch back to Paxil + Welbutrin combo from Effexor?

erinmichelle - Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:47 am

I've been trying Effexor for about 3 months now and I've decided it's NOT working right for me. I'm up to 225mg. I want to go back to the med combination that I was on before, it was working MUCH better for me, it was 20mg of Paxil plus 150mg of Welbutrin. I'm completely miserable and want to make the switch as quickly as possible. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is safe/ ok/ reccommended to change without tapering one and slowly increasing the other? I'm going to do this under my doctor's supervision but would like to hear if anyone has any experience with this as I don't fully trust my dr.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi erinmichelle,

Generally, the approach would be to taper the Effexor gradually while slowly adding the Wellbutrin and Paxil. I think that your doctor is right. Good luck! Also consider that your Effexor dose is not high enough to be deemed ineffective (usual top dose 375mg), though you may have other reasons for wanting to change back to what worked well for you.

-Eliot Seigle MD

|