Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Zoloft withdrawal

maiden75 - Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:02 am

I have been prescribed Zoloft for generalized anxiety disorder. I have heard from people that the withdrawal effects can be really scary and cause things like "shockwaves" in your head and other stuff. Are these effects normal and will they go away over time? I want to take them asap but I am worried about getting off of them when I get better. Also, does Zoloft interact w/Nexium or cause any stomach problems? I sometimes have a burning pain between my navel and chest and take Nexium as needed per my doctor.
 shadowm - Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:39 pm

I was taking 200 mg/day when my insurance cover changed and it was no longer covered. I researched depression and serotonin on the internet and found several articles that suggest taking the amino acid L-Glutamine. I take 2000mg/day and have experienced no withdrawal symptoms and continue to feel the benefits I first achieved on Zoloft. L-Glutamine should be taken without food, between meals. I also take 5-HTP and SAM-e. All of these are very inexpensive, and available at most vitamin stores or online.
 zoloft1 - Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:44 am

I have taken 50mg Zoloft for the past 12 months for depression. I have to decided to come off the medication and have reduced my dosage to 1/2 (25mg) per day under advice from my GP. Common symtoms whilst on the drug included dry eyes,constant hunger (to the point I gained 10 kg in 12 months), increased tiredness and loss of sex drive (male) and upset stomach/heartburn. I am interested in other users symtoms whilst using this drug. Don't get me wrong the benefits of the drug far outway the symptoms as I got my life back in order. After 1 week I am now experiencing the following withdrawal symptoms: agitation, morning tiredness, anxiousnous, aggrevation/impatience, dizziness and confusion (similar symptoms before taking the drug). I almost feel like going back on the drug as I am unsure whether I am only suffering withdrawal symptoms or are truly dependant on the drug to feel well. I would appreciate any comments or feedback of similar experiences.
 shadowm - Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Try taking the following amino acids, instead:

500 mg. L-Glutamine; 2 grams L-Phenylalanine

Also a good idea to take 5-HTP and a B vitamin complex.

The above will (should) stimulate production of serotonin (as in Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor - what Zoloft, Prozac, etc. ARE).

I felt no benefits from Zoloft until I reached a dosage of 250 mg./day ... I quit and started taking the above and felt no withdrawal symptoms and, best of all, no dimunition of the benefits that I felt from Zoloft.

|