Question: Am I Anorexic??

cutiebear666 - Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:36 am

Hi, Im 21years old and for the last month I have been on a low fat/low calorie diet, it started off as just cuttin down on meal sizes and then went to just eating salads with either fish or chicken or eggs and a sandwich for lunch which was fine but now for the last 2 weeks all i can eat is a piece of fruit for lunch and a small green salad for dinner. I only drink water and i cant seem to make my self eat anything else, i even check the calories in flavoured water! I am obsessed with counting calories and cannont make myself eat anything other then fruit and green salad, i am 5ft5 and weighed 8stone 4, i am now 7stone 11 so really i have not lost that much weight but i do look skinny except my belly is still a big bulge and i cant get rid of it!! i get scared because i just cant imagine myself eating anything bigger then a salad, i would love to, i just cant. I feel weak and just don't feel hunger anymore. i tried speakin to my boyfriend about it, he is away in the raf at the moment but will be back next week, he bought it up as pretty much every conversation i have will be about food and what ill have for lunch and telling him (like his interested!) exactly how many calories my salad will be. he then started getting angry at me and tellin me to go put a pizza in the oven or he will not speak to me. so i lied to him and told him i have been eating fine since then tellin him i just had some pasta or a curry when he phones. but i cant.

i suffer from depression also have done since i was about 16 but is quite bad at the moment, i even consider suicide when i feel at my most down.

i don't know what to do, i feel week but unable to eat. i think i need help.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Cutiebear,

It does sound like you are developing anorexia nervosa, although to officially qualify for the diagnosis depends on whether you've stopped having your periods and how much of your "ideal body weight" you've lost. But these are immaterial to the main concern, that you have bravely and wisely caught the onset of this very serious condition, which can become chronic and medically dangerous. I strongly recommend that you get yourself an immediate psychiatric evaluation or psychological evaluation with a professional experienced with anorexia treatment. Not all mental health professionals have this experience. You can ask at your local hospital, community mental health center, and you should also see your primary care doctor and tell him what's going on so you can be assessed medically.

Again, I applaud your wisdom and courage, do your best to face it straight on. Do your best to eat normally, and try not to do any "purging" (causing vomiting, for example). Remember your worth is in what is inside of you, your character and who you are, not in your weight or your looks (Contrary to what the TV and movies and magazines advertise). Good luck.
-Eliot Seigle MD

|