Question: Finding a psychiatrist in my area?

caaly - Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm not sure how to do this, so I'll just wing it. I saw a psychiatrist for a couple of years... 20 years ago. I don't know what I was diagnosed with. I've been prescribed ludiomil, lithium, tegratol, and stelazine. I stopped everything 15 or years ago. (Long story, but had no options). Things have changed now, and I want, or need, to go back on the stelazine. It was the one thing that I felt helped. I've been self-medicating for a long time (drinking heavily, and knocking myself out with otc allergy pills). I e-mailed my psych, she's in Canada, and has no idea how the system works here. I just wanted a referal.I need help, and have no idea how to find it.I live in the N.W. Chicago burbs. I'm bulemic and I cut. Maybe you can tell me how to find a doctor in my area?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi caaly,

Ways to find a psychiatrist: contact your local hospital and see if they have psychiatrists on their medical staff; contact your primary care doctor for a referral; every county in the USA has a community mental health center. Find the number for this- you can contact the health department in your area to get this number. Finally, look up the phone number of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill or go to its web site. They should be able to provide you with the number of the local chapter, who can give you a referral, in all likelihood.

By the way, Stelazine is somewhat outdated and replaced by safer medications, so it is possible that there is a better medication than that for you. However, sometimes it is sensible to use what worked well in the past. Stuff you can discuss with your psychiatrist-to-be.

Hope this helps, good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD
 caaly - Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a primary doctor; The last time I saw one was a very long time ago, and I wouldn't want to see one any way now. I've looked up the National Alliance and the only thing they have even remotely close to me are some group meetings--- and I have a hard enough time doing the one on one thing. I'm also trying to be discrete. My husband knows I'm not quite right, but he doesn't know the extremes I go to. I know there are Drs in my area... can I just call them and set up an apt? And will they be discrete also? I realy don't know how this works......
 glenp - Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Take a look here. There is no point in going to a doctor that you will not like.

http://www.ratemds.com

|