Question: paranoia, hallucinations, over sleeping

slack - Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:04 pm

so lets start of in orders of events,
last summer, i kept seeing peoples faces, I KNOW no one was there, so i just put it down to just being tired. In about November, i could never sleep, I would end up getting 2 hours to no sleep every night. By January or Feb time, I could sleep for 3 or 4 hours a night without waking up. Now that i was sleeping more, every so often it would feel that i wasn't getting enough air, and had troubles breathing and such. For the past 2 years i've had mood swings and had episodes of depression and such, which got worse this year, i know that it's caused by my mum though. Moving on to recently, 3 or 4 weeks ago, i started getting mild abdominal pains, which got worse, 2 weeks ago, on Friday, they were like.....severe. It felt like someone was stabbing me repeatingly, everywhere. So NOW my parents decide it would be a good time to take me to emergency, after spending 4 days there, they didn't know what's wrong. Sunday night (was still in the H) I got really bad shooting pains, chest pains, and had a hard time breathing, that night, i kept seeing people in my room. Not doing anything, just starring. I just told myself i was tired and went to sleep. They discharged me on Monday, and since then i am always super tired, all i want to do is sleep. I keep getting headaches and the pain is still there. My stomach cramped up, it hurt just like a leg cramp, and i haven't eaten really, for over a week. Sometimes when i try to sleep, i can't because either my mind is really awake, or my body is. Yesterday, i kept hearing these voices, not just like...background noise, but as in like someone was there, telling me to do stupid stuff that would kill me or that something is going to kill me. I saw things like people, and i kept seeing this knife fall, that wasn't ever there, i know it wasn't there because the handle was red, there is only black handled knifes in this house. Last night I saw someone standing at the end of my bed holding a knife, i started panicking but was too scared to move. I've been really paranoid for the past year, i have a RIDICULOUS amount of phobias, seriously, like 200 or something stupid...I'm lately really irritable, and today i was really angry for no reason. Does this all tie together? or am i just a mess?

-SJ
 slack - Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:55 pm

forgot to mention that i have little co-ordination to no co-ordination lately.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Slack,

It sounds like you are experiencing a significant episode of one of many psychiatric disorders, which can cause these symptoms. You are clearly in a lot of distress. The list of which psychiatric disorder or combination of disorders includes several possibilities, and would include a Depressive episode with "psychotic features", a bipolar disorder (known formerly as manic-depression), schizophrenia (is less likely), what is called a schizoaffective disorder, a substance abuse related problem (if you use substances!), Post-traumatic stress disorder, one of several hormonal disorders, and even others. You may also be having some panic attacks, causing the trouble breathing and associated symptoms.

It's great that you've come forth to ask, and I strongly recommend that you access a psychiatrist for a full psyhiatric evaluation. Try to obtain someone that is recommended and will give you a couple of sessions. Be sure that you provide a complete life history of yourself, any info of family members who have had mental illness, and try to recall if you have ever had an experience of abuse. You will likely need both medication and talk therapy. Try to be sure that the psychiatrist explains what he thinks your condition is after your evaluation is done. Following the evaluation, the psychiatrist should provide you with treatment recommendations.

Don't be afraid to get the psychiatric treatment that you need. Psychiatry is a medical science and don't let "stigma" deter you from doing what is in your best interest! Good luck.

-Eliot Seigle MD

|