Question: Klonopin and remeron, weaknes, anxiety and depression

caseyclyde - Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 pm

i have been taking klonopin for 6 weeks or more 3 x' a day.5mg, and remeron 30mg at bedtime with remeron, i will see my pcp next monday get hot flashes from time to time,weakness in arms and knees,my mood is depressed i am not happy something is wrong and i don't know which med is causing these terrible feelings what should i do ?
 caseyclyde - Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 pm

i went today and my pcp switched me to wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning for 14 days the twice a day does this sound ok
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Caseyclyde,

It's not clear to me what is going on, it depends on your diagnosis and condition and symptoms before starting the medications. Klonopin can cause sleepiness and depression as side effects, and Remeron can also cause sleepiness and feeling, sluggish, heavy, trouble thinking clearly. You should discuss with your doctor when the symptoms started; after starting or increasing which medication, or if they occurred before starting them. Remeron is an antidepressant, so I'm guessing that you have been depressed, so maybe your symptoms are part of the original depression. Interestingly, Remeron causes less sleepiness at higher doses, and you might need a higher dose if the depression is that which you felt originally. If the Klonopin is increasing the depression, this may need to be lowered or stopped.

Sometimes when things get complex like this, it might be good to have a referral to a psychiatrist, who probably is more experienced in treating your condition. Also, you may need a talk therapist (psychotherapist). It's acceptable to ask this of your PCP.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD

|