Question: Using non-prescriptive meds for anxiety/sleep/depression

BIBNR4L - Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 am

Hello, I have been diagnosed with general anxiety for quit some time. I have a history of mental disorders in my family, grandmother schizoprenic/multiple personality disorder, and dad bipolar. I have been on and off anxiety and antidepressants, but honestly they seemed to make my anxiety worse. I have been off meds for about 3 months, and I feel pretty good, but still get the occasional anxiety flare ups. I have been researching the suppliment 5HTP, any thoughts on using this suppliment? Also, I have trouble sleeping so every night a take 1 tylenol PM, is this not healthy or is it ok? It helps me sleep, I hate using prescriptive sleep aids, they make me feel hungover in the morning, and I don't like the other side effects. Also, I have had a HUGE decrease in my sex drive in the past month, would be anxious and stressed explain this? I am not on any meds once again. Would 5HTP help this area as well, since it increases the level or serotonin? Or do you know of any natural suppliments that are good for anxiety and sleep? Thanks

Amanda
 ZzZ315 - Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 pm

I am no doctor or anything but medical marijuana is the most natural ways to treat/cure your symptoms. So far medical marijuana is available in 13 states. If you do your research and ask Doctors you will find its wonderful benefits.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression, mild-severe anxiety, and insomnia with medical marijuana I am available to treat my conditions. I can give most if not all the facts on medical cannabis, but its best you consult the pros.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri May 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi BIBNR4L,

I haven't read any persuasive research regarding the use of 5HTP for sleep, although it has been used for this quite a bit in the past. Melatonin has shown some effectiveness in helping people to fall asleep, and is available in the US without a prescription. I don't know of any non-prescription medications proven to be helpful for anxiety. Daily exercise, meditation, yoga, walking, and various kinds of relaxation training techniques can all be helpful for stress and anxiety. Also, a large increase in one's sex drive along with increased anxiety could possibly be linked to a bipolar disorder, which merits some thought given your family history for this genetically linked condition. In the past it was not well recognized that many people with bipolar disorders often had anxiety and panic attacks as co-occurring conditions. If you are concerned about how you are feeling, you could consult with a psychiatrist.
I cannot make or exclude a diagnosis for you over the Internet, of course.

Good luck,

Eliot Seigle, MD
 princefingers - Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:15 pm

What are your thoughts on taking 5htp in place of Lexapro? Is 5htp safe?

|