Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor and Paxil

Heathseeker - Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 am

I have been on effexor for more than 3 years. Max dose was 150. Could not take it for too long. Went down to 75 most of the time. Have reduced to 37.5 for a period of time. Want to get out and after 2 days without get very uneasy, aggressive, impatient, etc.

Saw a Psyquiatrist, who decided to put me on Paxil and Effexor at the same time.(small dose on both) She says she can not preditc what will happen. Just have to try...
I told her I had a car accident while on Paxil, but she did not think it was related.

Effexor have calmed me down but not really done too much for depression.

Was on Zoloft for a while, and it did speed me too much. Was very anxious.My mind was very alert and clear. Did help with depression, but could not sleep.Was anxious and felt like I was someone else... not me.

Paxil, just made my day go easier. Can not remember. Was a while ago.

Not sure about this new doctor. Is this combination effective? Paxil and Effexor? Is it safe? I hear in your forum that paxil is also difficult to get off from. Any suggestions? What is a good way to get off effexor.

I hear there is a new medical specialty that deals more directly with these medications biochemestry and depression. Were should I go to get a really good expertise on these medications prescriptions.I have an HMO and restrictions about doctors I can visit. My insurance do not help too much about recommending any of their doctors. I am very concerned and do not know where to go. Can you recommend a physician in South Florida, Fort Lauderdale area?
Are these dugs safe? I have other health issues.Please give me some direction and opinions. Thank you in advance.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon May 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi healthseeker,

It sounds from the way you wrote your post that you are taking medications for depression, but I sense that you are not receiving psychotherapy. I suggest that you also consider getting psychotherapy, and not rely solely on the medications. The combination of Paxil and Effexor is sometimes used, but to my knowledge there is not yet certain experimental proof that it works better than either one alone. However, it is not a wrong thing for a doctor to prescribe them together, it is within the standard of practice. My experience is that too many people expect too much from antidepressants, and don't have the opportunity to explore their patterns of thinking, feelings, stresses and past experiences that may be contributing to the depression.

Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

|