Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: nortriptyline for sleep?

Adam84 - Thu May 29, 2008 9:25 am

I have been taking nortriptyline for about three weeks now (three 50mg caps before bed) and xanex (.5mg txice a day as needed) and at night i still cant sleep. my dr. had originally put me on the nortriptyline for sleep and the xanex (ive been on it for a little over a year) for anxiety but nothing works. i find myself taking 1.0mg xanex before bed, 150.0mg nortriptyline, 2 tylenol pm and an hour later.... still cant sleep, at this point i generally get up and take 3 more tylenol pm. I know this isnt safe but yet i do it anyway to get sleep.

(oh and when i do sleep i get like 3 hr power naps and cant go back to bed. and im generally in a real bad mood the morning after.)

What are my options?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:35 pm

HI Adam84,

Is the nortriptyline being used just for sleep, or for depression as well? The related medication, amitriptyline, is far better for sleep, and you probably will need much lower doses of it, perhaps 25-100 mg, unless it is being used for depression as well, in which case the dose will need to be higher. In any case, nortriptyline is not very sedating, and you could discuss amitriptyline as an alternative with you doc. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD

|