News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: cipramil and cipralex

smashinglizzy - Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:43 pm

hi. I live between britain (studying) and ireland (homeplace). My doctor at home in Ireland prescribed 20mg cipramil some twelve months ago for anxiety, which has worked a treat. I had to visit my doctor here in scotland recently and he prescribed 20mg of cipralex without consulting me of the change. Are these drugs the same and should the dose be the same? Im confused about the difference. Thankyou.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 pm

User avatar Hello -

The two drugs are closely related in terms of molecular structure, activity, etc. They work in much the same way, but the manufacturer of both claims greater efficacy for Cipralex. If you notice any negative difference you should go back to the original, but both are available locally for you. The dosing is the same for both, although since there are some differences in their molecular structures it is possible one would require more or less of a dose to achieve the same results. In most cases Cipralex should be somewhat more effective, but clearly if it were totally superior Cipralin wouldn't be prescribed. I'd say go with the one that seems to work best for you and if they are equal, then make the choice based on cost. Otherwise I see very little to choose between the two.

Hope this is helpful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here