Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: cipramil and cipralex

smashinglizzy - Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:43 pm

hi. I live between britain (studying) and ireland (homeplace). My doctor at home in Ireland prescribed 20mg cipramil some twelve months ago for anxiety, which has worked a treat. I had to visit my doctor here in scotland recently and he prescribed 20mg of cipralex without consulting me of the change. Are these drugs the same and should the dose be the same? Im confused about the difference. Thankyou.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 pm

The two drugs are closely related in terms of molecular structure, activity, etc. They work in much the same way, but the manufacturer of both claims greater efficacy for Cipralex. If you notice any negative difference you should go back to the original, but both are available locally for you. The dosing is the same for both, although since there are some differences in their molecular structures it is possible one would require more or less of a dose to achieve the same results. In most cases Cipralex should be somewhat more effective, but clearly if it were totally superior Cipralin wouldn't be prescribed. I'd say go with the one that seems to work best for you and if they are equal, then make the choice based on cost. Otherwise I see very little to choose between the two.

Hope this is helpful.

|