News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor XR 75mg / Firefighting

kirky - Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:51 am

I am 38 years old and have been on SSRI's since 1997. I have tried Paxil, Celexa and for several years now I have been on Effexor XR. Initially my treatment was for panic attacks and depression. Then depression only. Life has been great for many years now, virtually no panic attacks, no depression and no side effects. I have spent the last 2.5 years in school to become a firefighter (currently an Operations Manager). This career change has been a huge challenge and sacrifice as I'm married with 2 kids. I have juggled my family, night school, volunteer firefighting, fire training, volunteer St. John Ambulance and my current career to become a firefighter. I finally have all the qualifications to be considered and land an interview.......two in fact, one last week and one in two weeks from now. My question is, can anyone tell me or direct me as to how I can find out if my being on Effexor XR has diminished my chances of becoming a firefighter. I am aware that under NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) standards there are certain medical requirements. Each municipality uses their own assigned medical team to perform testing such as hearing, vision, stress test and blood testing. Do they frown upon anti depressant users? YOUR THOUGHTS?
Keep in mind I do not want to contact the municipalities just in case.

Signed
HOPING ALL IS FOR NOT.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi kirky,

I don't know the answer to your question. Effexor should not be any more prohibited than other antidepressants. The question may be clinically, does your doctor see any effects of the Effexor which might negatively impact on your firefighting skills, and would he be willing to document that if the answer were no. You also might want to check the rules in your fire district.

Good luck -E. Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here