"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: why antidepressants for chronic pain?

problems101 - Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:52 pm

I'm dealing with chonic pelvic pain, I recently found a specialist So I'm hoping the end of this pain is near. He put me on 2 antidepressant meds. one is Gabapentin & the other is pamelor. the Gabapentin, I'm suppose to work up to 900 mg a day.

I'll admit searching for answers to this pelvic pain has taken up much of my life lately, but what's the purpose of antidepressants?

Dr. E. Seigle - Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:25 pm

Dear problems101,

The antidepressants, amitriptyline and nortriptyline are used for chronic pain, for which they are effective. This probably occurs due to the serotonergic effects of these medication. It is known that the serotonin nerve cells in the part of the brainstem called the peri-aqueductal grey, travel downward into the spinal cord and connect in the spinal cord in specific regions with the nerve pathways carrying pain information from the body, lowering the transmission of pain back upward into the brain.

I hope that you are feeling better! -Eliot Seigle MD