Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Prescribed Paxil & Trazodone after 10 minutes' talk??

waystressedout - Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 pm

I finally decided to seek help the other day. I have bad anxiety and I've suffered from symptoms of PTSD and depression for over a year now (since being in a tornado).

My psychiatrist was 30 minutes late to my first appointment. When he came in, he seemed rushed and like he hadn't read my file. I watched him skim it quickly, then he started asking me a couple of questions about my problem.

About 10 minutes later (most of that was finding my medical history, not discussing my problem) he prescribed me both Paxil and Trazodone, without telling me what they were for and despite the fact that I told him I wasn't sure I wanted medication. He told me they were not habit-forming, but "need-forming," and told me that I could go to all the therapy I wanted but would never get better without being medicated.

The visit felt rushed and the doctor was cold to me; I wasn't comfortable with the fact that he prescribed me medication so quickly and explained nothing about it. I was too nervous and stressed to think of any questions to ask him at the time. After filling the prescription and getting home, I looked up the medications and found stories of Paxil addiction/withdrawal and other generally horrible things. After research it seems Paxil is an extreme way to go, especially as my first try for an antidepressant. So I'm scared to try the medicines this man gave me because I have no reason to trust him.

What's worse is that I don't feel comfortable enough with the psychiatrist to tell him any of my concerns or ask any questions. I'm almost sure I'll switch psychiatrists soon, to see if there are any around here who might actually care about helping me, but I still wonder-

Is it normal to prescribe medication like that without actually getting to know your patient first? It just felt wrong.

Sorry for using up so much of your time. I'm just so scared to try to get help now.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Dear waystressedout,

I'm sorry to hear that you were treated in this way by a psychiatrist, and I wouldn't want to be treated in a fashion that felt rushed, in which I wasn't provided information, and in which I didn't feel that my questions were not only okay, but solicited. I don't think many people would have been comfortable being treated in the way that you described. Medications should be taken with caution, and it is unusual for your disorders to not be treatable with psychotherapy in lieu of medication, if that is what you prefer.

I am glad that you feel empowered to work with a psychiatrist who helps you to feel well cared for and that he/she is interested in you and your questions. You may want to either discuss your concerns with this physician, or ask around to find out which psychiatrists are felt to take care of their patients in ways that feel appropriate, patient and caring.

Good luck! -E. Seigle MD

|