News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: HELP! im only 14 and i feel like nothing is real, help

frasercook - Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:14 pm

hey,
im only 14 yet i have been suffering form panic attacks the last 2 weeks and in the past few days i have started to feel that the world isnt real? and im not real. and i keep asking myself, what is life?
i really neep help, please post a reply
all i want is to feel normal again :( help
thank you
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi,

It does sound as if you are having experiences related to anxiety; these are called derealization and depersonalization, and are often associated with panic attacks. I strongly suggest that you discuss these problems with your parents or other important adult, and that you be evaluated and treated by a psychologist or a psychiatrist. You should know that medication is not always necessary for anxiety disorders, so you and your parents should consider the range of options for treatment, psychotherapy or medication or both. In addition, you may be able to figure out why this is occurring at this time.

You are brave to bring this out; keep up the good work!

-E. Seigle MD
 Tayroke - Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:53 am

Hey,
Im not a doctor but i too suffer from panic attacks and feelings of life not being real. For the panic attacks as the doctor said meds and therapy would be something to look in to. You could also buy some lavender candels the smell can calm you down. I also tell myself everything will be ok, that im fine. It helps alot too.
 rocketman - Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:52 am

I went through something like this when I was 10, and couldn't sleep for a year, until I realized that what I was worried about didn't matter in the long run. Most people toy with the idea of What is reality? at some point in their lives, so you're not alone. It shouldn't worry you to the extent that you've described, and this will pass. Wondering if nothing is real is just that, wondering. Issues like these are examined in philosophy. Maybe you could look into some books in your spare time, as a hobby. But the general consensus is that reality is whatever you make it out to be.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here