Question: HELP! im only 14 and i feel like nothing is real, help

frasercook - Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:14 pm

hey,
im only 14 yet i have been suffering form panic attacks the last 2 weeks and in the past few days i have started to feel that the world isnt real? and im not real. and i keep asking myself, what is life?
i really neep help, please post a reply
all i want is to feel normal again :( help
thank you
 Dr. E. Seigle - Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 pm

It does sound as if you are having experiences related to anxiety; these are called derealization and depersonalization, and are often associated with panic attacks. I strongly suggest that you discuss these problems with your parents or other important adult, and that you be evaluated and treated by a psychologist or a psychiatrist. You should know that medication is not always necessary for anxiety disorders, so you and your parents should consider the range of options for treatment, psychotherapy or medication or both. In addition, you may be able to figure out why this is occurring at this time.

You are brave to bring this out; keep up the good work!

-E. Seigle MD
 Tayroke - Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:53 am

Hey,
Im not a doctor but i too suffer from panic attacks and feelings of life not being real. For the panic attacks as the doctor said meds and therapy would be something to look in to. You could also buy some lavender candels the smell can calm you down. I also tell myself everything will be ok, that im fine. It helps alot too.
 rocketman - Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:52 am

I went through something like this when I was 10, and couldn't sleep for a year, until I realized that what I was worried about didn't matter in the long run. Most people toy with the idea of What is reality? at some point in their lives, so you're not alone. It shouldn't worry you to the extent that you've described, and this will pass. Wondering if nothing is real is just that, wondering. Issues like these are examined in philosophy. Maybe you could look into some books in your spare time, as a hobby. But the general consensus is that reality is whatever you make it out to be.

Hope this helps.

|