Question: not happy with doctor labelling me and putting me on drug

Flashback - Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I am not happy at all with my doctor. At first he was great was taking to me about the death of my father and I broke down and told him I was having flasbacks of my horrible past - I was molested by my brother, raped by ,my boyfriend and all his friends and more horrible things, I was emotional abused, verbally abused you name it. Now My doctor recommended me to go see a counsellor so I did. Now he has me complete this doctumenti on how I feel by answering true and false questions. Before that he had diagnosed me with complex Post traumatic stress. NOw he is he told my doctor to prescribe me seroquel which I looked into and it is for manic depression and bi-polar what the hell. He says this about me about me taking a stupid survey. So I went from beinf depressed because my dad just died this Feb and I was having issues from that, to the flashbacks of my abuse and now I am bi-polar and manic depressive.

I think I am going to stop taking all the med completely and forget about counselling all together. Right now I am on 30 mg of remeron and all I want to do is sleep. This who labelling people is stupid based on you taking a true and false document.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi flashback,

It sounds like you are feeling angry and mistreated and misunderstood. Have you had a chance to talk with your doctor and counselor about what they have diagnosed with, and what the rationale for the medication is? If you haven't talked about these issues carefully with them, you might do so. You might even write a list of questions so you don't forget some.

You are going throuh a very scary process of remembering and telling about trauma, and people usually can feel very vulnerable and raw. So, know that you have the right to understand your diagnoses and your treatment should be collaborative; you should understand and consent to it.

Also, you should know that what the FDA says a drug like Seroquel is "indicated" for does not reflect what doctors in actual practice may use the drug for. The FDA indication merely shows what the drug company is allowed to advertise the drug for. Seroquel can be a good medication for complex PTSD; possibly that is what your doctor is thinking.

I applaud you for your courage and your questions, and encourage you to ask them and see if there may be some misunderstandings which are making things confusing. Try not to make any sudden or unilateral changes in your medications; keep up the talking and asking of questions.

Good luck!

-E. Seigle MD
 Flashback - Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Thank you doctor for answering my question.
Yes,I am very confused, and scared and feeling misunderstood.

I thank you for telling me that the drug is used for complex PTSD. I was not at all aware of that, and never found anything when I was doing research.

My doctor and psychologist have been great in helping me to feel better, so I will talk to them when I see them next.

I was angry and was going to stop my meds and the counselling, but thanks to you
I will keep taking them, and talk to my doctor.

thanks very much
I am going through a rough time but I know it will get better.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm

User avatar Congratulations on your resolve to do difficult things to help yourself! Keep up the good work and best of luck to you.

|