Question: what is a burnout

kazza26 - Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:15 pm

i think i mentioned about my abuse in a previous post and wondered why i aint suffered mentally but i have suffered psychologically,unless they are both the same thing.well i decided to visit an abuse chatroom thinking its best to get information from people who have been through it themselves,they asked me my age and i said 26 and they said that i might think i have control but i havent and am gonna end up having a burn out,whats a burn out.i don't want to ever get involved with a man not seriously but people at work keep trying to get me with a man ,they said i don't wear enough make up and i should show my body off more,am trying to do the opposite,i don't want to attract men.i actually snapped at them in the end said whos body and face is this,il do what i want with it,if u lot want to go around looking like tarts be my guest.i didnt mean it but is thats what meant by a burn out ,that am gonna end up really snapping,,getting angry
 cjones - Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:56 pm

i don't know what a burnout is in that context --- what i think they might be saying is that if you repress everything that happened to you it might remain unresolved but slowly smouldering and interfering in your life decisions etc. etc. in a negative way.

i don't think that is necessarily true - some people perhaps can deal with trauma without the need for psycho-counseling. it is always difficult to see how people are on the inside but one of the most amazing people in my life was my great-uncle who spent time in a German prisoner-of-war camp from the ages of nineteen to twenty-one and was only six stone when released being six foot tall. as far as i know he never went to see a counselor and was married for sixty years, became chairman of his company, has well-balanced, lovely children was given an MBE and was one of the most wonderfully kind people, balanced and deeply-centred but just KIND, KIND, KIND - i never heard him say a bad word ever about anyone and he had a great sense of humour.

so it is not a "given" that you need counseling if something bad has happened in your past - unless you feel that it is and that you would like advice and help.

and i also agree that, despite all the advertising trying to convince us to the contrary, there is, in fact, more to life than just sex and sense pleasures - sheesh! you are a person and a soul and a mind - not just a body to attract men so you take your time and don't let anyone pressurise you into anything.

when people won't stop with it - one does feel like snapping at them but i guess a better option is to be able to make a joke of it and make light of it. i wish i was better at that - but i am just as likely to "blow up" too.

anyway, just a general answer - i am sure a psych will have a more informed outlook.
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Dear kazza26,

Could you clarify what you mean by saying that you are suffering mentally or psychologically? And if you're comfortable saying so, what is the nature of the trauma that you have suffered?

-E. Seigle MD
 kazza26 - Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:24 am

i suffered sexual abuse, i don't suffer mentally,i havent time for that.it doesnt matter anymore anyways,il just have to deal with it.am from uk things work different here,u have 2 be tough no matter what,u trip over a french frie in usa and its classified as an traumatic ptsd type event,,looks thanks for your help but nothing noone can say is gonna make a difference.no meds will ever get rid of memories that are traumatic,il leave u alone now to help others.

|