News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Strattera

murphy1982 - Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:16 pm

My name is micheal im a 26 year old male when I was a child I was diagnosed with severe ADHD and obssesive compulsive disorder I under went alot of test's and that was there dx the reason why im writing today is to ask a few question's in regards to medications ever since I was a child I went throughout school not medicated due to my hypersenstivity to psychiatric medications so I spent most of my school years in special ed the best thing that ever worked for me was ritalin but when it wore off i became very aggitated, well im now 26 and have tried many medications but none for a while untill recently the dr put me on strattera I requested something due to my job requiring my full attention and also so I can complete school I just wanted your input and opinions am I to old to try to treat the ADHD now and what meds have you had luck with thank you very much for your time in this matter
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Dear murphy1982,

It's not at all too late to treat your ADHD and if you still have it, the OCD. I suggest that you meet with a psychiatrist to get an up to date evaluation. This would help to ascertain what are the main symptoms of your ADHD, the level of problems that it is causing you, and what would be the best treatment plan.

There are a number of new medications used to treat ADHD, and they include, as you mentioned that you tried, Strattera, Adderall, both shorter and longer acting forms, and Ritalin that is availoable now in long-acting forms so as to avoid the "rebound" hyperactivity that it sounds you may have experienced when you took the short acting Ritalin many years ago (including a patch. Other medications include nortriptyline & similar medications, Wellbutrin, guanfacine, clonidine and Provigil.

In short, there are many medications for adults with ADHD, but you should also expect to benefit from "coaching" therapy to help you with memory, organization, planning skills, and learning ways to think ahead and help in minimizing impulsive behaviors.

Good luck! -Eliot Seigle MD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here