Question: depression and anxiety diagnoses

cal kid - Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:23 am

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in 2005. This has been going on since early childhood. Don't know what normal is. Doctors put me on an ssri med which was working for about six weeks then after that made me feel crazy. currently not on any med. I have general low moods, constant anxiety and suffer from panic attacks. Also have ocd tendencies. I usually have very slow thought patterns and slowed movement. My digestive system moves very slowly and I have a constant pain in the area of the lower intestine which seems to worsen during bowel movements but does not change position. I think that I may have a partial blockage of the colon, possibly a coin that I swallowed when I was about seven. I don't know for sure if it ever came out. I have tried hydration therapy and it doesn't get rid of the pain although while the water is in there the pain is reduced somewhat. If there is a partial blockage could this cause depression and anxiety as well as other neurotransmitter malfunctions that I have experienced such as poor temperature regulation, (cold hands even when it is warm) low blood pressure readings on tilt table test, and ED problems? What do you think?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Dear cal kid,

I don't think it's likely that your digestive system is related to your anxiety and depression. I think that you should receive a thorough psychiatric evaluation, and then receive, in addition to appropriate medication, appropriate psychotherapy. I'm afraid that too many people are having their emotional issues oversimplified by solely treating them with medication, and that you may need to have psychotherapy that is geared toward your emotional and personality issues. Many of us have issues which stem from childhood experiences which need to be explore and sorted out with psychotherapy. I suggest that you consider this. Good luck!

-Eliot Seigle MD
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Dear cal kid,

-Eliot Seigle MD
 Dr. E. Seigle - Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Dear cal kid,

-Eliot Seigle MD

Dear cal kid,

-Eliot Seigle MD

Dear cal kid,

-Eliot Seigle MD
 cal kid - Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:51 am

I have confirmed that I do have a partial colon blockage and I think that is what is getting me down. I don't think I need any anti-depressant medication. I just need to fix my colon and I will be ok. How much copper would you absorb from a coin in your colon after 29 years? Copper is toxic right? What effects would that have? Having such a slow digestive system would result in re-absorbing toxins that the digestive system was trying to get rid of right? That would cause the low energy and low moods that I have experienced. Please don't tell me that I just need to be medicated, this is more complex than that.

|