News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Anxiety and Sleep disorders - I grind my teeth!

billyjo2008 - Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm

I've always known that I grind my teeth at night and it gets worse as my anxiety level goes up. I am in the middle of a career change and buying a house and my anxiety I have no doubt is high. I have been told that I now grind my teeth alot at night and I have been told that I toss and turn all night long non stop. I wake up really tired and that just adds to the anxiety. Is this a typical thing? Is there a name for it? Are these symptoms of something other than anxiety and what can I do to fix it?
 Dr. E. Seigle - Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi billyjo2008,

The medical term for teeth-grinding is bruxism. Mainly, anxiety, tension, depression, are the causes for this, as for tossing and turning. The latter can also occur when you don't have enough deep sleep. The emotional issues can cause this, as well as a number of medications. Are you taking any medications? Or using caffeine or nicotine after 4 pm? These can cause anxiety and trouble sleeping, with the associated symptoms that you're having.

-E. Seigle MD
 billyjo2008 - Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:15 pm

No caffeine or tobacco in my diet. The stress is from a recent job change, move, etc. Is there a natural option to dealing with this issue?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here